The Aware Ego Process is subtle and intriguing, conceptually and experimentally. It can be misunderstood.
- The Aware Ego Process is the unfolding of consciousness. It is not a self, a part, a voice or a sub-personality. It is the process of standing between opposites that may eventually lead to standing beyond opposites.
- In Voice Dialogue, a technology for awakening, we find out who we are by finding out who we are not. It is not essential, though it may be useful, to be prescriptive on the nature of ultimate reality. Voice Dialogue offers an invitation to find out for ourselves.
- I can have an Aware Ego Process with respect to one set of opposites and no Aware Ego Process with respect to another pair of opposites. I may have lived much of my life identified with the Pleaser (In fact I did). When I separate from him, and develop an ability to set some boundaries I have an Aware Ego Process relative to the pleaser/boundary setter pair of opposites. If I am still identified with the mind honouring feelings may still be difficult. There will be no Aware Ego Process in that dimension.
- An Aware Ego Process can disappear. The process of conscious coordination often does disappear. If my vulnerability is injured and I do not notice my primary selves will rush in to fulfil their time-honoured task of looking after me when I cannot. I may see this happening, or more likely will see it afterwards. I will need to separate once again from my primary selves to re-establish an Aware Ego Process.
- The Aware Ego can live with ambiguity. There is no need to reconcile opposites. Inner diversity is inner diversity. Reconciliation, a creative synthesis, may take place but it is not necessary. Living through an Aware Ego Process is so dynamic and creative that many shifts can happen. An Aware Ego is able to hold the tension of the opposites.
- An Aware Ego has no agenda. If there is no longer a right decision there is also no longer a wrong decision.
- If you think you have an Aware Ego you probably don’t. To ‘have’ an Aware Ego Process means to be in touch with both sides. To be in an Aware Ego Process is to feel the energies of both sides, honour them, make choices, and to take disappointed selves with you.
- An Aware Ego Process is in touch with vulnerability. Vulnerability is characterised by a sense of openness and sensitivity. Therefore, intuition is available. It is also in touch with awareness, so it stands on the threshold between the space of consciousness and the contents of consciousness.